Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Puffed Paint

Hello! A while back I came upon a cute picture of a canvas painted with puffed paint and acrylic. I decided to give a shot and to do my own. Here is the final product:

 
 (I bumped up the contrast a bit on this photo)

Only four coats of paint to get it to look exactly how I wanted it. Note, it didn't REQUIRE the four coats of paint that were applied, but I was not satisfied with it ... until now. All it took was a nice coat of cream colored acrylic straight from the bottle. Oh, why do I make things much harder than they should be?

Steps for a single color picture:

1. Find and gather up your design and/or lettering (you can used computer printed lettering or images for this project). Draw it out on a piece of paper (any kind) and shade the back side of with a charcoal pencil. Then trace onto the canvas. 

2. Draw over your design using puffed paint. I would recommend using puffed paint remotely close in color to your desired end product. A toothpick comes in handy to clean up edges. Let paint dry per manufacturers instructions. Repaint/repair as needed. 

3. Once puffed paint has been applied as desired, use a large brush (sponge or bristled) to cover the canvas in acrylic. You may need a couple of coats. 

Note: if you'd like multiple colors in your picture, you may want to paint the canvas first in acrylic, transfer your design and then paint your it with puffed paint in a different color. 

Have you tried this project? 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment